Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Hate Coleslaw

So I decided to make it myself. I figure if I hate it, it's because someone isn't making it right. And after this little batch, I think I found the recipe, at least for this meal. Shredded green and purple cabbage, 3 parts green to 1 part purple (as purple is much more bitter than green, but the color is nice). Shredded carrots (fresh, not the pre-cut bag kind), thinly sliced red onion and celery. The sauce is equal parts sugar, white wine vinegar (I hear apple cider vinegar is good as well), vegetable oil and plain yogurt.

The BBQ Chicken sandwich is courtesy of Sean and his father, which involves shredding the chicken with two forks while it is raw (in this case one thigh and one breast) and then simmering the meat in a vat (or saucepan) of your favorite BBQ sauce (K.C. Masterpiece doesn't count). Pile on the chicken, the coleslaw and some shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and you have yourself a great sandwich, and an easy meal.

And if you find yourself at the meat counter ordering said chicken, such as two thighs and two breasts as I did, do not be surprised when the butcher responds, "Two thighs and two breasts? Sounds like you need a woman."

No comments: