Thursday, April 10, 2008

Not Every Meal is Perfect

Especially when you try something new. But, we live and we learn, and when something doesn't turn out how I expect it, I try to repeat it, only next time, I will consult a cook book for a new idea. However, I did try Bolivian Red Quinoa, a rice-like whole grain cultivated in the Andes Mountains. The taste was a little nutty, but not overly so. I certainly enjoyed it's flavor much more than brown rice, and the texture was nice and soft, without any chewiness. Boil two cups water (or in my case, one cup chicken stock, one cup water) to one cup of Quinoa. Throw in some chopped garlic and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.

As a topping for the pork chop, I cooked a sliced portobello mushroom in a little bit of olive oil (okay, a lot of olive oil) as mushrooms love to soak up oil, then added some sliced bell peppers (which I tend to put in everything) and cooked on medium-high heat until nearly done, then I added balsamic vinegar and chopped garlic, and a minute or two later, a quarter cup of Shiraz and salt/pepper. (Always, always use fresh ground sea salt. Always always. And pepper. In this case, cracked white pepper, which I prefer for pork dishes.)

The asparagus is drizzled in olive oil, lemon juice and salt/pepper, and baked at 400 degrees for five minutes on a cookie sheet. The pork chop takes the longest to prepare as it is first seasoned with salt/pepper, then dusted with white flour and cooked on high heat in a saucepan with a bit of olive oil for 3-4 minutes per side, until it begins to brown. Then remove the pork chops and place them in a baking dish with a little bit of chicken stock and water to keep the pork from drying out. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes until done.

The bell pepper did not work at all. The skin was a little bitter (not washed properly) and even if it wasn't, I don't know that the flavor worked that well. The mushrooms however, which soaked up the balsamic vinegar and the wine, were fabulous, and a nice compliment to the pork. The flour helped lock in the salt and pepper on the pork, and while overcooked by a few minutes, it was still relatively tender, and absolutely tasty. The Quinoa was a nice touch, although I would like to dress it up a little more. It was a nice alternative to wild rice, which I normally would have used with this dish. Enjoy.

No comments: